Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Rice

I love rice! As an Indonesian, I've been eating rice all my life, mostly white rice. Recently, it got me thinking... White rice is so nice and clean, easy to eat and good with most of Indonesian dishes, but what's inside the white rice?

(+)
White rice is the name given to milled rice that has had its husk, bran, and germ removed. This alters the flavour, texture and appearance of the rice and helps prevent spoilage and extend its storage life. After milling, the rice is polished, resulting in a seed with a bright, white, shiny appearance.The polishing process removes important nutrients. A diet based on unenriched white rice leaves people vulnerable to the neurological disease beriberi, due to a deficiency of thiamine (vitamin B1) - source: Wikipedia

White rice is not the worst thing you could eat. It's just a load of empty calories like a pile of starch that will for sure cause your body to release insulin but not much else. It is not nutritious, just an empty filler.
Argh! It's scary to think of what white rice is gonna affect my body in the future if I consume a lot of it. However, since a few months ago, my family and I have started consuming organic red rice and brown rice. The price of red rice and brown rice is surely much expensive than regular white rice, but at least it's healthier and better for your body. It's a slow transition, usually I mix a cup of white rice with a cup of red rice or brown rice.
When we go out to eat and the restaurant only serve white rice, we only order 1 portion and split it because we do not want to consume too much of it.

Talk about rice, I do not have a rice container to keep my rice. Usually it stays in its brown paper bag. But um, don't you think these rice containers are neat?
(+)

No comments:

Post a Comment